Thursday, July 14, 2011

Whiter is better. No?



So if I haven't already consumed at least 20 seconds of your life this morning by posting this photo on my facebook, I'm about to consume a few minutes more to elaborate on an interesting trend in advertising and media. But we will start with this Dove VisibleCare advertisement, because... let's face it, it's kinda, well, f*cked up... and an excellent example of what not to do in the 21st century.

I'm certainly no biomedical engineer (nice switch-up from rocket scientist), but the plus size black model appears to begin the Dove VisibleCare regimen as seen under the word "before" and after her transition from a Latina woman, finishes off as a blonde, skinny white woman as seen under the word "after."As a photographer, I would find it very difficult to completely overlook all the details in the above photo. It's almost like a road map to fitness, lightness, and smooth skin. And despite how boring the overall ad really is, in exactly 5 seconds an eyebrow went up. How many designers and art directors had to look over this thing? I'm talking about the people who are hired to give these ads the evil-eye.

Galvon Laessig from Buzzfeed says, "Dove vehemently denies this ad was intended to be racist. Unintended racism isn't much better."

I agree.

Now, to expand on the black to white transition... I'm looking at you, Michael...(dead people jokes=bad).  No, seriously. What's going on with Beyonce? Black in real life. White on paper. I was walking through the subway the other day when I noticed what appeared to be a white Beyonce ad. Actually, that's exactly what it was. I couldn't find the subway ad I saw, but I'll use Loreal as the guinea pig here:


Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment